Proven Power and Productivity
VA Smalltalk enables software developers to create highly portable, scaleable, multi-tier business applications using object-oriented technology. Its applications fit easily into existing infrastructures and support the latest web application, database and operating system technologies.
- Comprehensive integrated development environment with preference settings framework and deployment tools including logging framework and deprecation exceptions
- Supports current versions of operating systems including Windows, Linux, Solaris, and AIX
- 100% IBM VisualAge® Smalltalk compatible
- Powerful VA Assist™ ergonomic and productivity enhancements such as an Integrated Code Completion Engine and WidgetKit™ custom controls
- Seaside support for the current release of the Seaside Core, jQuery, Scriptaculous, RSS and several development tools
- Enhanced Web Services, including support for "Document Literal Wrapped" style
- GLORP support lets you easily read and write Smalltalk objects from relational databases
- Enhanced Oracle database capability
- SUnit 4.0, supports efficient Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Enhanced IDE with Scintilla code editor, code assist, tabbed browsers, use of native Windows widgets, inspector improvements preference settings and more
- New documentation delivery system (web or local) with improved navigation and updated content
Transition from VisualAge Smalltalk (from IBM) to VA Smalltalk (from Instantiations)
In 2005, Instantiations assumed responsibility for ongoing development of the VisualAge Smalltalk technology base. The result was a new, modernized, VAST-based product called VA Smalltalk™. Since it's 100% VisualAge compatible, this ensures existing IBM VisualAge Smalltalk customer business needs and requirements are met.
VA Smalltalk version 7.0 was the first version from Instantiations, and its features were the same as VisualAge Smalltalk 6.0.3, to promote easy porting from VisualAge to VA Smalltalk. In addition, starting with v7.0, the following add-on products were incorporated into the main product:
Learn what's new in VA Smalltalk
Discover more details about the capabilities of VA Smalltalk.
Download the VA Smalltalk datasheet
See the history and product roadmap for VA Smalltalk