Proven Power and Productivity
VA Smalltalk enables software developers to create highly portable, scalable, multi-tier business applications using object-oriented technology. Its applications fit easily into existing infrastructures and support the latest web application, database and operating system technologies.
- Compatible with IBM VisualAge® Smalltalk enabling fast and easy migration and upgrades
- Modern, up-to-date operating system support
- Comprehensive integrated development environment and deployment tools
- Enhanced IDE with Scintilla code editor, code assist, tabbed browsers, native platform widgets, and more
- Powerful VA Assist™ ergonomic and productivity enhancements and Integrated WidgetKit™ custom controls
- Seaside support for the current release of the Seaside Core, REST, HTTPS, jQuery, Scriptaculous, RSS and several development tools
- Enhanced Web Services, including support of document literal wrapped style and SOAP 1.2
- Cryptographic bindings with enhanced SSL/TLS support
- GLORP support lets you easily read and write Smalltalk objects from relational databases
- SQLite supports in-memory databases
- Enhanced Oracle database capability
- Documentation delivery system (web or local) with improved navigation and updated content
Transition from VisualAge Smalltalk (from IBM) to VA Smalltalk (from Instantiations)
In 2005, Instantiations assumed responsibility for ongoing development of the VisualAge Smalltalk technology base. The result was a new, modernized, VAST-based product called VA Smalltalk™. Since it's fully VisualAge compatible, this ensures existing IBM VisualAge Smalltalk customer business needs and requirements are met.
VA Smalltalk version 7.0 was the first version from Instantiations, and its features were the same as VisualAge Smalltalk 6.0.3, to promote easy porting from VisualAge to VA Smalltalk. In addition, starting with v7.0, the following add-on products were incorporated into the main product:
Learn what's new in VA Smalltalk
Discover more details about the capabilities of VA Smalltalk.
Download the VA Smalltalk datasheet
See the history and product roadmap for VA Smalltalk